Enacted on March 29, 2005
Enforced on April 1, 2005
In accordance with laws and other related acts concerning the protection of personal information, the academic juridical person Nihon University (hereafter, the University) stipulates the guideline relating to the handling of personal information as follows, and in tandem with administering the protection of personal information, shall conduct smooth administrative operation of the University’s education, research, medical care services and the like.
1. Compliance with Laws and Other Related Acts Concerning the Protection of Personal Information The University shall comply with laws and other related acts concerning the protection of personal information, and handle personal information in a fair manner.
2. Definition of Personal Information Personal information as stipulated in this guideline refers to the data that the University acquires through the course of its duties, relating to students of the University, guardians and guarantors thereof, administrators, faculty members, alumni, applicants for admission to the University and the like, patients of hospitals affiliated to the University, as well as families and related parties of the aforementioned persons, through which an individual is specifically identified, or could potentially be identified.
1) The University shall recognize the importance of personal information, and strive to take necessary measures to prevent any infringement of the rights, interests or privacy of individuals through the handling of personal information.
2) Administrators, faculty members and the like of the University, both during their term of employment and following their retirement, are prohibited from divulging or using for improper purposes the personal information they become aware of during the course of their duties.
4. Restrictions on the Acquisition of Personal Information
1) Personal information shall be acquired with a clear purpose of use, and in a fair and legal manner, within the necessary scope of the operations of the University’s education, research, and medical care services.
2) The University shall not acquire personal information concerning thought, creed, religious affiliation, etc., in the event of there being a danger of infringement of said fundamental human rights.
5. Use of Personal Information
1) The personal information acquired by the University shall be used for the purpose of use specified at the time of acquisition or within parameters reasonably connected thereof, and for as long as is necessary to accomplish the work concerned.
2) In the event of personal information being jointly used with a third party, or the handling of personal information being entrusted to a third party, the University shall supervise the other party or third party concerned in order to ensure fair use of said personal information.
6. Offering Personal Information to Third Parties Excepting where stipulated by laws or regulations, the University shall not offer personal information to a third party without receiving the advance consent of the party to which the personal information pertains.
7. Appropriate Management of Personal Information The University, while maintaining the accuracy and up-to-dateness of the content of personal information in its possession, shall take necessary precautionary measures to ensure safe management to prevent divulgation, loss, damage or the like concerning the personal information.
8. Disclosure of Personal Information In the event of receiving a request seeking the disclosure, amendment, suspension of use and deletion of personal information from the party to whom the personal information pertains or proxy thereof, the University shall, in accordance with laws and regulations, respond appropriately through a specially appointed personal information manager.
9. Organization Control
1) In order to ensure legal handling and management concerning the protection of personal information (including the handling of motions for complaint) the University shall establish personal information protection committees according to the following divisions:
- a) For the University, the Nihon University personal information protection committee shall be established with the chairman of the board of trustees as chairperson. This committee shall consist of the chairperson, members designated by the chairperson, and others. The president may attend the committee as the occasion arises.
- b) For the Central Administration Office, the Central Administration Office personal information protection committee shall be established with the standing trustee (in charge of general affairs) as chairperson. This committee shall consist of the chairperson and committee members appointed by the University.
- c) For the departments, colleges and schools, the respective personal information protection committees shall be established with the dean of the college, etc., concerned as chairperson. These committees shall consist of the chairperson and members appointed by the chairperson.
- d) For the Center for Information Networking, a specialist committee may be appointed to conduct the management of the database of the personal information it handles, and other duties.
2) Regarding alumni information, a separately established alumni information management committee shall undertake responsibility.
10. Enactment of Regulations, etc. To ensure the smooth implementation of this guideline, the University reserves the right to specially judge on the regulations, internal rules, and guidance concerning the preservation of personal information.
11. Education and Training 1) In order to achieve the fair use and protection of personal information, the University shall provide faculty members and the like with necessary education and training. 2) In the case of personal information being handled by volunteers participating in activities under its auspices, or by guardians thereof, the University shall hold orientation sessions and the like for said participants, and shall make known to them the necessary measures implemented to ensure safe management of personal information.
12. Inspection, Evaluation and Revision The University shall conduct periodic inspections, evaluations and revisions regarding the handling of personal information, and the guideline and the like, and make improvements where necessary.
13. Date of Enforcement This guideline shall be enforced as of April 1, 2005.